Skip to main content

Book Review : Shyamchi Aai (Translated to English) - Sane Guruji

 

For time immemorial, stories and anecdotes from life have been a very powerful medium to share tenets of philosophy with the wider audience. There’s something magical in listening to stories, more so events from someone’s life. This book is a collection of stories narrated by Shyam about his experiences and lessons learnt from his Aai (Mother). The events revolve around their lives, childhood and the various challenges faced by the family over the course of time. These stories act as medium to impart age old Vedic, Upanishadic wisdom through metaphors embedded in each of the stories.

The stories are very simple life experiences which leave a lasting impression on Shyam who shares it with his friends in Ashram after the evening prayers. These stories revolve around simplistic virtues like not stealing, focus on being a good human as compared to a great person to a more deep involved nuanced commentary on the social fabric of the society of the yore encompassing subjects like untouchability, gender equality in truest sense where men partake women’s responsibilities in household etc. Each of these stories has a unique lesson to impart on the reader and I am quite certain a lot of them stick.

Shyam’s Aai becomes his guru, philosopher, guide and the beacon of light for the rest of his life. I personally believe the choice of names as in Shyam, Yashoda (Aai) and the eventual separation is inline with Krishna’s experiences in Gokul. Shyam’s stories become similar Krishna’s Geetopadesha, except the source or rather the inspiration is his mother. The author’s biography at the end of the book reveals the empathetic, evolved mind which looks at the larger canvas of country and society. Written during his jail sentence, this work is sort of autobiographical as claimed by the book also (but was apparent around 30% of the book). The last few chapters of the book are really gut-wrenching and very emotional. I wouldn’t be surprised if a tear or two escape the eyes.

Please have very young and impressionable minds read this book. This is a book for all ages. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED MUST READ

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

108 Divine Shiva Kshetras - Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar

Wodeyar family in general have been instrumental in preserving a lot of age-old scriptures, puranas etc by commissioning Asthana Vidwan’s to translate them into Kannada. We are blessed to be savouring the vast ocean of our ancient knowledge thanks to these generous souls.  Mysore’s Maharaja H. H. Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar was a scholar par excellence. He has authored many works, one of which is Sri TattvaNidhi . In the 5th Canto, there is a mention of 108 Shiva Kshetras along with the names of the presiding deities (as captured in Srimat Shivasarasangraha ).  Disclaimer : This list was published in the special edition of Bharatha Darshana (Feb 2026). This post is to translate the same into English so that it reaches wider audience. Full credit should go to the Bharatha Darshana team for bringing these nuggets to light.  1. Kaivalyashaila - Srikanta 2. Hemakedara -  Kedareshwara 3. Varanasi - Vishwanatha 4. Srishaila - Mallikarjuna 5. Prayaga - Nilakanta 6. Gaya -...

Book Review : Aparoksha - Sahana Vijaykumar

  Before the book review, I feel there is a strong overlap between the concept of the book - A journey and my own book reading journey. In the recent past, my reading was heavily tilted towards English books / translations and I used to read the originals only when I had to refer something I may have read earlier. This is perhaps my first Kannada book in last couple of years that I have read cover to cover. Starting with a doubt if I will be able to transcend this peak of reading such wonderfully written book to actually enjoying the journey and completing this today, it has been a journey worth remembering. When I was nearing the end of the book, I realised the theme of the book landed up being reflected in my own case. Aparoksha translates to direct inference rather than indirect or perceived knowledge or experiences. To summarise this book into a sentence - This is a philosophical journey of a human who embarks on a journey to discover herself. What is so special about this sel...

Temple Circuit - Divya Deshams, Padal Petra Sthalam - Kerala - Part 1

After Makara Sankranthi, in Kerala, a festive vibe erupts in the form of Purams or annual temple festivals. It is also interesting to note that this is not limited to the Hindu temples, but also quite a few churches that celebrate their Pirannal or birthdays. Driving through the side-roads is an experience to celebrate the vibrant decorations, the DJ powered music (this too exists), Chenda Melam & of course, panchavaadhyam.  This time of the year also happens to be the time of Bharani or Puram of Bhagwathis, one of which is close to my paternal ancestral home. When the date was decided to be January 26, I planned to make the most of the opportunity by travelling early and trying to discover and understand the antiquity of some of these kshetrams. As a new found self-motivated objective, I wish to travel and discover these Divya Deshams and Padal Petra Sthalams across the country or beyond. As part of this endeavour, I zeroed in a few kshetras that are relatively near-by to my a...