Skip to main content

Book Review: Agastya - Anuradha Gajraj Lopez

 


This book was released by Subbu recently, which piqued my interest. Agastya Muni (as he is commonly referred to) is a very revered saint in the southern parts of Bharathavarsha and naturally I was attracted to this work. Overall, I feel the first half of the book is a good introduction to those unfamiliar with the stories, legends and history associated with Agastya muni. The second half of the book is a fan account of one of the prominent Kalari teachers of modern era and culminates with the author’s personal encounters with the revered sage. The author’s father is said to have been a medium to encapsulate the teachings of the great saint which is captured in the last part of the book.

There are quite a few aspects of the book which I differ with and I try to capture my observations as below:

  • Timeline of Ramayana and Vedic period as captured by the author is incorrect. Vedic is much more older and Ramayana is quite old
  • Quantifying Ramayana and Mahabharatha as epic diminishes their importance - They are our Itihasas (history - as it happened)
  • Between pages 20-22, there is a general commentary which is quite irrelevant and quite well known. I couldn’t comprehend the reason for the same.
  • Mitra is termed as God of Honesty and Friends. In general, Mitra along with Varuna (as in Maitra-Varuna) guard the world and uphold the truth and light - holding oath holders on their oaths and watching their actions
  • The stories of Agastya drinking the ocean or one associated with Vindhya mountains is not completely presented. Its seems rushed up. 
  • Parashurama - is termed as a Mythological figure. I presume with the awakened consciousness, we could definitely phrase this much better
  • There are many paragraphs which seem to be repeated in quick vicinity. A good review could easily save some pages off this book.
  • The author quotes some of the criticism received and subsequent response to the same - I feel that the response could have been a tad better
  • There is a lot of self promotion by the author - I published this, I published that etc. At times, it becomes a hurdle in the study flow.
  • Shivaratri - The author quotes this as the day of worshipping Shiva. However, it needs to be highlighted that there is a masika Shivaratri and Maha Shivaratri (Phalguna Sukla Chaturdashi) is the one that was alluded to by the author
  • Transliterations of the writings is very good. However, the appeal of the same to wider public is something I am not very clear as the language is Tamil which may not be understood by non-Tamil speakers


Lastly, I am disappointed at the attempt to secularise the concepts and teachings of Thiru. I am not sure about the intention behind secularising every single aspect of the Sanatana Dharma. Quite frankly, this could have been avoided.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

108 Divine Shiva Kshetras - Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar

Wodeyar family in general have been instrumental in preserving a lot of age-old scriptures, puranas etc by commissioning Asthana Vidwan’s to translate them into Kannada. We are blessed to be savouring the vast ocean of our ancient knowledge thanks to these generous souls.  Mysore’s Maharaja H. H. Mummadi Krishnaraja Wodeyar was a scholar par excellence. He has authored many works, one of which is Sri TattvaNidhi . In the 5th Canto, there is a mention of 108 Shiva Kshetras along with the names of the presiding deities (as captured in Srimat Shivasarasangraha ).  Disclaimer : This list was published in the special edition of Bharatha Darshana (Feb 2026). This post is to translate the same into English so that it reaches wider audience. Full credit should go to the Bharatha Darshana team for bringing these nuggets to light.  1. Kaivalyashaila - Srikanta 2. Hemakedara -  Kedareshwara 3. Varanasi - Vishwanatha 4. Srishaila - Mallikarjuna 5. Prayaga - Nilakanta 6. Gaya -...

Book Review : Aparoksha - Sahana Vijaykumar

  Before the book review, I feel there is a strong overlap between the concept of the book - A journey and my own book reading journey. In the recent past, my reading was heavily tilted towards English books / translations and I used to read the originals only when I had to refer something I may have read earlier. This is perhaps my first Kannada book in last couple of years that I have read cover to cover. Starting with a doubt if I will be able to transcend this peak of reading such wonderfully written book to actually enjoying the journey and completing this today, it has been a journey worth remembering. When I was nearing the end of the book, I realised the theme of the book landed up being reflected in my own case. Aparoksha translates to direct inference rather than indirect or perceived knowledge or experiences. To summarise this book into a sentence - This is a philosophical journey of a human who embarks on a journey to discover herself. What is so special about this sel...

Temple Circuit - Divya Deshams, Padal Petra Sthalam - Kerala - Part 1

After Makara Sankranthi, in Kerala, a festive vibe erupts in the form of Purams or annual temple festivals. It is also interesting to note that this is not limited to the Hindu temples, but also quite a few churches that celebrate their Pirannal or birthdays. Driving through the side-roads is an experience to celebrate the vibrant decorations, the DJ powered music (this too exists), Chenda Melam & of course, panchavaadhyam.  This time of the year also happens to be the time of Bharani or Puram of Bhagwathis, one of which is close to my paternal ancestral home. When the date was decided to be January 26, I planned to make the most of the opportunity by travelling early and trying to discover and understand the antiquity of some of these kshetrams. As a new found self-motivated objective, I wish to travel and discover these Divya Deshams and Padal Petra Sthalams across the country or beyond. As part of this endeavour, I zeroed in a few kshetras that are relatively near-by to my a...